Monday, August 31, 2009

I was sitting in orchestra today, thinking about all these musicians, and how the music industry is so incredibly competitive...and i got to wondering; what is it that makes us want to be so much better than everyone else in our section? This goes for anything in general, not just a violinist. Why can't we all just accept that we're all talented? Maybe someone else has a better tone quality, or more money, but who really cares? God made us who we are, and he gave us the talents we have. He also expects us to respect others who have our same talent. Maybe it's just a matter of self esteem. But when all is said and done, we're all unique individuals who our Heavenly Father loves, and if my stand partner goes off to become a world famous musician, and I a teacher in some small high school, that does not make me any less of a performer, a musician, a person. In the end we're judged by how good we are, not how famous we get. So please, everyone. Respect anyone and everyone as a person, no one cares if you're better. I am here to gain an education for ME, I didn't come to college to see if I could beat out every single person trying for the same thing I am. Of course this does not mean I am not going to try to work my hardest, but I am not here to become better than everyone. As long as I try my best, practice my hardest, and believe in myself, when I become a teacher and you become a rock star, I've still made it as far in life as you have because I got to where I want to be. I am just amazed at what I've heard people saying about other people going into the same fields here at college, rude, demeaning degrading things. Come on guys, the world needs more than one nurse, more than one singer, more than one violinist, more than one school teacher, and remember, there's always going to be someone that is a little higher on the totem pole than you.
So next time you're going to criticize someone or talk lowly of them, especially if they're studying in the same field as you, just remember that it really doesn't matter. You're here to develop YOURSELF, not to be better than everyone else; and remember that We are all equal!

3 comments:

  1. different, but sort of same topic:
    the reason musicians do what they do is to move people, make them feel something, and we hope to instill a desire in our audience (or students) to be a better person and make a change. as soon as you lose sight of that purpose your musicianship goes out the window and you're not half the musician as that 8-year-old playing his first recital who couldn't be more excited to show his parents all he's learned

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is perfect! I love that. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete