Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's a "bummer"

I was bit in the bum by reality.
Literally...I got up out of my chair and Mizelle informed me that I had a hole in my pants.
But also figuratively.  So there was this concert scheduled for this Friday with Mark Small and Peter Clemente, a classical guitar duo, accompanied by the Southwest Symphony.  It was supposed to be an incredible concert full of amazing music from Titanic and Barry Manilow to pieces by Vivaldi. It was SUPPOSED to be.  Our lovely guitarists are stuck in London because of Volcano ash...none of the airplanes are taking off.  It's a real bummer, we've been working on that music for weeks.
So, last night, as in Wednesday, as in two days before our concert is scheduled, we were surprised with a new, lovely stack of music on our stands.  As the conductor assured us it will be ok because we have already played all of the pieces in the past, I panicked because this is my first semester playing with the symphony.  It's a really good thing I know how to kick sight reading's bum!

Now I know why they make us sight read to audition for anything.

PS  They have re scheduled the guitar concert for sometime in May. After school is over.  When I am five hours away home for the summer.  Thank you reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment