I love Easter. It's not because of the "Easter Bunny" or all the delicious things you make out of hard boiled eggs for the next week and a half (although that is an added bonus). No, I love Easter because I get the same feeling that I feel at Christmas! I don't know why Easter isn't as big of a deal as Christmas as far as media is concerned...because as far as why we have the holiday I believe that it is equally as important. It blows my mind every time I think about it. How could one person be so selfless that they would be willing to go through so much.
Lets put it into perspective.
When I get a paper cut I feel like I am in so much pain. You know the feeling, it kills! Now, take that paper cut and give every person in the world one. Then, on top of that add every stubbed toe, broken arm, and broken heart. Add every loss, sadness and sorrow. On top of that add every sin, from thinking a mean thought about someone to shoplifting to running from the law. Now, take all that pain, sadness and guilt and give it to one person to bear. I don't know about you, but every time I try to comprehend what he might have gone through that night in Gethsemane I simply can't. I know that I could never bear that much, especially all in one night. It just makes me love him even more knowing that he took in all my pains and sins but still loves me just as much.
So, I think we should all strive to make Easter a bigger deal than we do, put aside the eggs, bunny and new dresses and think about what it is really about.
Let every man and woman count himself immortal. Let him catch the revelation of Jesus in his resurrection. Let him say not merely, "Christ is risen," but "I shall rise." ~Phillips Brooks

No comments:
Post a Comment