Saturday, September 10, 2011

Candide Overture: Leonard Bernstein

This is one of my favorite overtures, and a very well known one in the classical music world. This particular video is with Leonard Bernstein himself as the maestro. If I were you, I would consider listening to the Candide suite as well, which isn't quite as well known as the overture alone but it is definitely as good and worth the time.

I love when the violins mimic the flutes. I also love that it has a waltz feel even though it is in 4/4 time, I love when composers do that. The other thing I love about this piece is that even though it is in Common time, you can never really tell where the beat is. It's fun to conduct along because the beat is not where you expect it to be! And the best part is that the piece is building up, building up, getting faster and although it ends with a bang, the second to last note is just this little blip, and then BAM! Finished. :) ha I just love it.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment