This summer is just full of music experiences for me. Last week I got to view the music camp world from a teacher's perspective, and next week I'll be at the student's end instead. So last week was Dixie's Castle Rock Music Camp, and I was a teacher's assistant along with 5 other majors, and 4 of DSC's music faculty. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do when teaching.
It is that it is a scary thing to be in charge of six kids all under the age of 16. All the TA's were put in charge of a group of kids for the week, and my group was half the kids staying in the dorms. So not only was I their guide for the day, but I was in charge of them literally 24 hours a day. Do you know how hard it is to know where that many people are every second of every day for 4 days straight? But, for the most part they were really good for me, and they all got along great!
I got every angle of teaching thinkable! I lead sectionals, helped kids with individual practice, coached a double string quartet, (my quartet did so good that they got to play in the concert!) and was kind of a counselor to the kids when it came time for activities and meals and such. Plus working alongside the music faculty was useful in me learning how to be a teacher.
All the kids who stayed in the dorms
Playing Duck Duck Goose. This was the second day and already everyone seemed like best friends!
Matt, Kenzie, Me, and Tara, a few of the TA's
Even the music faculty joined in on the fun!
Waiting for the chamber concert to start
The whole crew! (With the exception of the percussion students and my poor stand partner Hannah who hurt her back)
Musicians will do anything to be musical...even when they don't have access to their instruments!
No comments:
Post a Comment